Museum of Abay
The museum would be interesting for people who like Kazakh Literature. The memorial museum of Abay was opened in 1940 and was dedicated to the 95th anniversary of the birth of the famous writer and poet Abay Kunanbaev. He was also actively involved in charity and education development of Kazakh people. At first, the museum was located in a house where Abay often stayed when he was in Semipalatinsk. Then, in 1970 the museum moved to another house owned by the Ershov brothers (Russian merchants), because the expositions needed bigger place. About 20 years later, the Abay Museum turned into a whole complex. The museum building was merged with administration building and the Akhmet Riza Madrasah mosque where Abay was studying.
The museum is located on Kayima Mukhamedkhanova Street, 29. The ticket price for adults is 50 tenge, for children and senior citizens - 20 tenge, for students - 30 tenge and for foreigners - 100 tenge.
Museum of Dostoyevski
The museum of famous writer Feodor Dostoyevski is located in Semey, Dostoyevski street. The writer was living in this house (now museum) for about 5 years. The Museum in Semey was founded on May 7, 1971. There are about 25 thousand exhibits. Among the museum exhibits there are the first editions of writer’s novels “Crime and Punishment”, “Teenager”, “Brothers Karamazov” and other works. At the entrance to the museum there are monuments of Feodor Dostoyevski and Chokan Valikhanov (kazakh writer and friend of Dostoyevski). Tours are held in Kazakh, Russian and English. The museum hosts concerts and literary events.
The museum is located on Dostoevsky Street, 118. The price of an adult ticket is 300 tenge, for students - 150 tenge, seniors - 100 tenge, for foreigners - 400 tenge, and the admission for schoolchildren is free.
The bridge connects two coasts of Semey. The bridge construction was developed by a Japanese company. The total length of the bridge is 1086 m and its main span is 750 meters. The bridge was built for about 4 years. In the evening and at night, the bridge lights beautifully. It is decorated with hundreds of electric lanterns. Its main structures are made of steel, six-lane traffic helps in most cases to avoid congestion and traffic jams on the bridge. The bridge has no analogues in the whole world.
East Kazakhstan Regional Museum of Fine Arts named after the Nevzorov family
The museum was opened in 1985. The museum presents Russian art (of the period from the end of the 18th century to the beginning of the 20th century), the fine art of Kazakhstan, a small hall of Western European paintings and graphical arts (of the period from the end of the 16th century to the beginning of the 20th century), and the art of the CIS countries (the period of the 20th — 21st centuries). A big contribution to the development of the museum was made by the Nevzorov family. In 1988 Yulii Vladimirovich Nevzorov with his wife Antonina Mikhailovna and their daughter Yulia Yulievna donated more than 500 works of art to the museum. So, in 1991 the museum administration decided to name a museum after the Nevzorov family.
The museum is located on Pushkin Street, 108. The cost of visiting the museum for adults will be 350 tenge, for seniors and students - 150 tenge and for foreigners - 600 tenge. Also, you can order an excursion in English for 2000 tenge.
If you know Kazakh or Russian languages, you can visit Abay theater and Dostoyevski theater. They were opened at the beginning of 20th century. Kazakh musical and drama theater in Semipalatinsk first staged the "Enlik-Kebek" based on the poem of Mukhtar Auezov. The theaters are located on the street. Kayima Mukhamedkhanova, 6.
Monument of the heroes of the Civil War and Revolution
The memorial consists of three sculptures: the musicians, numbered railway carriage and women with children. The composition is opened by the trumpeter - herald of the revolution, then there are a life-size figures of mourning women and one of them is holding a child in her arms and then sculpture of the hungry prisoners that are held in railway carriage. It was dedicated not only to the heroes of the Civil War, but also to women - mothers and wives who helped to survive the horrors of the war.
The monument “Stronger than a Death”
It was opened on August 29, 2001 on Polkovnichii Island in memory of the victims of the Semipalatinsk test site. The memorial is 25 meters high. It is built of precast-reinforced concrete, lined with polished granite blocks and slabs of black Semipalatinsk granite. The monument shows the silhouette of the ‘atomic mushroom’, and under it shown a mother who covers the child with her body. This sculpture symbolizes maternal love, that is able to protect the child from all difficulties and all losses that caused nuclear tests in the period from 1949 to 1963.
Victory Memorial was opened on May 9, 1985 to the 40th anniversary of the victory over Nazis. It is located on the Victory Square. The memorial complex consists of the sculpture of warrior-winner and a rider on an 18 meters high stone plate. There is also an eternal flame that burns in front of the monument.